Thursday, December 1, 2011

the endocrinologist and the formula

Had an interesting interaction with a doctor today. We were at the endocrinologist to discuss some tests for Toddler B. The doctor, Dr. Sunni, was asking us about Toddler B's time in the NICU after she was born.

I informed her that Toddler B had been given a good amount of Similac for two weeks in the NICU as we had big issues with establishing breastfeeding. She looked at me, and after a long pause said, "Well, their marketing states that they are very similar to breast milk." I said that it might say that, but I disagreed, although I was thankful that it helped to keep her alive. Dr. Sunni smiled and changed the subject.

I thought this was really interesting- notice that she didn't say that Similac is similar to breast milk. She said that their marketing states that they are similar to breast milk. This tells me that she personally does not believe what their marketing tells us, but perhaps as a hospital employee she is not allowed to state this.

What do you think? Has anyone had a similar experience? Do you know of hospital staff that are not allowed to say that formula is not as good as breast milk? I would be curious to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...