What to do during this time?
Of course, there are hours spent gazing at baby, marveling at how perfect she is, soaking up that warm, fuzzy mommy feeling. And maybe there are some hours spent silently crying over how frustrated and tired you are.
But what about the rest of the time? Things that I have done on the couch during the first 4 months of Baby S's breastfeeding life:
- Watched all of the episodes available for Desperate Housewives on streaming Netflix (134 of them!)
- Played (and lost) about 50 games of Scrabble on Kindle with the partner
- Read about 15 books on my Kindle- my favorite has been Mothers and Daughters by Rae Meadows
- Thanked God for the invention of the Kindle and streaming Netflix
- Stared off into space
- Tried to will the Wii and TV remotes to jump into my hands from across the room
- Read books to Toddler B while trying to stop her from shoving the baby off my lap
- Attempted to move a sleeping Baby S onto the couch without waking her (25% success rate)
- Talked on the phone to whoever was around
- Balanced laptop on pillow and attempted to type with one hand
- Watched the Weather Channel
- Fought with the partner while trying not to wake the baby (and failing)
- Slept sitting up
Is it my imagination that the brand new couch we bought before the arrival of Baby S is already starting to sag? Probably not.