On top of all the regular hazards, I work in an elementary school. Little kindergarteners seem to find pleasure in sneezing in my face and running their little mucus-y hands all over my body. Stop! I can't get sick- 2 babies and work depend on me.
To make matters worse, I found out the hard way a while ago that decongestants and antihistamines can reduce milk supply and should be avoided while breastfeeding. So what to do when you get sick? First- deflect sick bugs as if your life depends on it. Second- if you do get sick, find other ways to deal with your symptoms. Don't worry, it can be done! Read on for my advice to you:
Avoiding the Crud
The best way to deal with being sick is to not get sick in the first place!
- Eat well. Lots of whole fruits and vegetables (avoid canned) and garlic. Take your pre-natal vitamins and avoid refined sugars.
- Cleanse the air: Put a couple of drops of eucalyptus, lavender, geranium and/or bergamot essential oils in a diffuser or bowl of just boiled water. These oils will attack bacteria floating around in the air.
- Wash your hands frequently. I prefer hand washing to hand sanitizer, which is full of all kinds of nasty chemicals.
- Try to get as much sleep as possible- I know, I know, not so easy with babies and children!
- Don't let the air in your house get too dry- Run a humidifier once a day or put a bowl of water on your radiator if you have one.
Dealing with the Crud
Ok, you're sick. What to do now?
- The minute you start to feel symptoms come on, start taking elderberry extract. Take 20-30 drops of the non-alcohol based extract 3-4 times a day mixed with water. I love this stuff! Get some now.
- Many people think that cold and flu bugs enter the body through the ear. Do the hydrogen peroxide therapy: When you start to feel symptoms come on, lay on your side and put a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal. Wait until bubbling subsides. Switch sides and repeat.
- Put a couple of drops of eucalyptus essential oil in a diffuser or bowl of just-boiled water. Eucalyptus helps to open the sinuses.
- In a bath or shower, put a hot washcloth with a couple of drops of eucalyptus essential oil over your face and inhale deeply. This will also help to open the sinuses.
- Keep a humidifier running.
- Clean out sinuses with a neti-pot.
- Use steam inhalation: Boil water and transfer it to a metal bowl. Add lemon wedges. Put your head over the bowl and cover with a towel. Breathe in deeply for 5 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times daily.
- Avoid dairy products- they increase mucus production.
- For bad chest colds and sinus issues, try an onion poultice.
- For sore throats: the second you feel it, start gargling once an hour with an equal mixture of apple cider vinegar, honey and water. It will kick that sore throat's butt, I swear.
- Get a Jewish mommy to make you some of her secret recipe chicken soup- I'm glad I have one!!!
Take care of yourselves, mamas! Anything else that you would like to add to this list?