Saturday, October 1, 2011

nip update

As you know, nursing in public (NIP) has been a struggle for me. At first, it made me extremely nervous, uncomfortable, and stressed. I found myself not wanting to leave the house because I knew that I would have to feed Baby S. I went out of my way to find secluded areas. I fought with Baby S to keep scarves and blankets over her head.

As the time has gone on, I've found myself more and more comfortable. Now, at 7 months, I don't think twice about it most of the time. I never hesitate to leave the house. I don't even bother with scarves or blankets. If I look for a secluded area it's only to ensure that Baby S will eat and not stop every two seconds to stare at the activity going on around her.

Take today- on the agenda was a bus ride to the modern art museum for family day, walk in the park and dinner out with the two babies and two stepchildren (ages 8 and 12). I only thought about breastfeeding when I made sure I put on a nursing bra.


When we got to the museum and got the kids situated with the art activity, I sat down to feed a hungry Baby S. In the middle of the room, where everyone could see me- I didn't even think about it! It wasn't until she was already nursing that I noticed a women and her daughter looking at me. I thought they looked a little hostile, but then I heard the mother saying to her daughter, "That was what you did when you were a baby." Nice! Nobody else even gave me a second look.

Later, as I was nursing her again in a gallery, an older woman did give me a nasty look twice, and called away her grandson, who was standing near me. But you know what? I noted it, then discarded it from my consciousness. It didn't make me uncomfortable, want to stop, or want to move. It's her problem, not mine!


Later, at dinner, again I breastfeed without any feelings of uncomfortable-ness. Yay! I'm glad I pushed myself to continue nursing in public. My persistance with myself has paid off. It feels great to be free of those feelings of stress and nervousness that plagued me every time I left the house. I can do what my baby needs me to do whenever and where ever she wants. It feels great!

To those of you still struggling with the whole NIP issue- keep doing it, at a pace you feel comfortable with. Don't let others make you feel ashamed for feeding your baby. Remember, if they have a problem with it, then they should leave, not you! The more you do it, the more comfortable you will feel. 


Any other advice for those struggling with nursing in public?

1 comment:

  1. Yea! I think that's the best way to go- change as you get more comfortable. I remember the early days being so stressful and then towards the end it was more simple and I was much more comfortable. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...