What is New Mom Food? Think about those first months with a newborn- frequent, long feedings. The feeling of not having time to do much but still having some of that nesting instinct. And if you have other kids? Forget it. There's not enough time in a day. So you need recipes that are good, low prep, and easy.
This is a recipe that I tried today and loved. I found it in Martha Stewart Living- what you see below is my version (because I can never follow a recipe exactly, of course). This dish is one of my favorite types of dishes- extremely easy to make, but can impress because the ingredients are uncommon and it looks pretty when done. Perfect as a side dish or as a dish to bring to a potluck or dinner. People will wonder how you ever had time to prepare such a fantastic dish- you can just shrug and smile.
New Mom Roasted Fennel and Artichoke Hearts
1 fennel bulb (just the white part, not the fronds), cut in 3/4 inch wedges
1 can whole artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
About 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Arrange fennel and artichoke on a rimmed baking sheet or casserole dish.
3. Drizzle with olive oil, salt to taste. Squeeze lemon over everything.
4. Roast vegetables until the edges become brown and "roasty", about 35 minutes. Stir things up with a spatula after about 20 minutes.
5. Transfer to a pretty dish and enjoy!