Thursday, November 24, 2011

giving thanks- breastfeeding style

I have so many things to be thankful for- a roof over my head, access to an unending supply of running, clean water, food to feed my beautiful family, and more. But what am I thankful for as a breastfeeding mother?

1. The double electric breast pump. How did women do it before this invention? My mother talks about using a single manual pump and what a pain it was. I know there are some who still use this method, but plug me in with that dual power pump any day.

2. An understanding and supportive workplace. I know, there is a law that mothers should be allowed to pump. But let's face it, there are some horrible workplaces out there. Are the women working ten hours in the slaughterhouse or 18 hours in the fields allowed time to pump and access to comfy pumping places? I don't think so. I am thankful that my employers and co-workers support me in my quest to continue to provide my baby the breast milk she needs. No one has ever said to me, "Just give her formula." It's just as well, they wouldn't want to see my reaction!

3. The internet. I've said it before, and I'll say it yet again- I'm thankful for the boatload of resources and support that are available right here inside my little laptop. Thousands of women there to give me a positive word if I need it. Tons of pages giving me the information that I am looking for. World wide breastfeeding mama web, I'm so thankful I found you.


4. Formula. Yes, that's right, formula. If formula hadn't been invented, Toddler B probably would have died. For those babies like mine- those with special needs, or for mothers who are having some major breastfeeding issue, formula is life saving. This is the use that it is intended for, and I am thankful for that.

5. I'm thankful for breastfeeding itself. G-d, your creation is perfect. You gave me the means to feed my child, and because of that I'm grateful. Our breastfeeding time has been snuggly, warm, and full of bonding. We are so thankful for our time together.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you beautiful mamas and nurslings out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...