BREASTFEEDING SUPER SNACK #3: Homemade Granola
Granola is another great snack that is easy to grab from the kitchen (I've already talked it up in Super Snack #1: Yogurt with Granola and Fruit!). Bonus: it's main ingredient is oats- according to many mamas, oats help to boost milk supply, or at least relax you and help with let down. So why not eat them?
Yes, it's easy to buy from the bulk section of your coop or grocery store, but like so many other things in life, it can be so satisfying if you make it yourself.
Organic Granola RecipeCombine organic ingredients in large bowl:
- 5 cups of thick (old fashioned) oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup walnut or almond pieces (or both)
Blend together: whisk until dispersed
- 1/2 cup cooking oil (we recommend organic canola)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract (real, not imitation)
Add to granola after baking:
- Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients and mix until completely coated.
- Spread mixture on greased baking sheet (about ½ inch thick layer).
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake for 15 min. Remove from oven, stir browned granola at edges to the center and push uncooked granola in the center to the edges and reform even layers for uniform baking.
- Bake 10 min, stir and reform.
- Continue the bake and stir process until it is browned to your liking. You can shorten the time you allow it to bake to be as short as 2-4 minutes (it begins to brown fast!).
- Remove from oven and let cool. After cooling, add raisins and/or cranberries and store in an airtight container.