Saturday, July 2, 2011

no-fuss breast milk

From the list 101 Reasons to Breastfeed Your Child:

Reason #8: Breast milk is always ready and comes in a nicer package than formula does.

In my opinion, this should be in the top three. Maybe top one! As a mama with experience using formula, expressed breast milk and straight breastfeeding, I have to say that using nature's package is the easiest of them all.


Formula was a nightmare. Toddler B has special needs, and feeding her was frustrating from the first day in the hospital. I sobbed when they forced me to give her formula for her very first feeding (while we had a kick-ass lactation consultant, Toddler B was born on a Saturday and she couldn't be reached. We instead were left with crazy nurses who did not understand my desire that she only drink breast milk). After she was moved to the NICU, they showed me how to use the breast pump, but even then I couldn't get more than 15 mL at a time- probably due to all the stress, confusion and frustration.


At the hospital we were given SimiCrap. For the next year, I pumped but often could not make enough milk, so we supplemented with Earth's Best Organic Formula. Don't get me wrong- I'm happy that man created something that would feed my child, who due to her special needs would probably not be with us if not for this invention. But...

The mixing. The measuring. The warming. The taste (not the same as breast milk, no way!). The need to run to the store all the time. The cost (!). Lugging around all that crap in the diaper bag. Having to leave somewhere because we didn't bring enough formula with us.

Man. Give me a good ole' breast anytime.

Apparently there are people running around out there saying that formula is easier than breastfeeding. If only for the convenience factor I say no way. My breasts are always here and ready to go.

At least we got some nice cans to store rice and things in out of the formula deal, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...