Sunday, June 26, 2011

on sleep

Recently, ParentDish posted an article with this title: Breast or Bottle Feeding? No Difference: Moms are Equally Tired.

Sounds great, but I have to disagree.

Yes, I'm tired. Pretty tired all the time, in fact. But not as tired as I was when I had to bottle feed my firstborn, who had breastfeeding issues due to her special needs.

Yes, Baby S wakes up in the middle of the night, sometimes up to 3 times a night! But since she sleeps with us, my favorite position allows me to pop a boob in her mouth and fall back to sleep with ease, ninety-nine percent of the time.

With Toddler B, it was a whole different story. We finally get her to sleep, and fall into bed exhausted (sex? what's that?). After a couple of hours- if we were lucky- she would start stirring and whimpering. By the time one of us had dragged our sorry asses out of bed, heated up the milk and brought it back, nine times out of ten she would be fully awake and ready to par-tay! It usually took about 2-3 hours to get her back to sleep. There were also the middle of the night fights over whose turn it was to get up.

Nothing that I would want to relive.

So, while I am definitely tired, breastfeeding by far gives more opportunity for sleep and ease than bottle feeding. Thanks, boobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...